anieva

I Like Books

I like to read, write and talk about writing.

Midnight in Austenland: A Novel
Shannon Hale
Sex God: Exploring the Endless Connections between Sexuality and Spirituality
Rob Bell

Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood, Book 10)

Dead in the Family - Charlaine Harris Well, I enjoyed it. And I think the quality of writing - ie. sentence and paragraph construction - is better. But I have comments and a question...

But, really, when I read a book, I like to wonder about motives and desires of the characters. In CH's books, I can't do that so much because there's a lack of 'integrity' in the characters, structurally speaking. They behave out of character for seeminly no good reason. And I have to think either CH has a plan or maybe she isn't taking the care with the books that would provide sounder personalities for the protagonists.

I was happy there was less rehashing of previous plot points, which generally I understand is often done. But since the series is so complex now, I think CH has wisely decidedly there's just too much previous story to mention.

Regarding Sookie's character, I think CH has done a good pointed yet subtle job of showing over the series the changes in Sookie's character from sensitive, shocked and sweet girl to fairly jaded fighter. I hope this goes somewhere. Based on comments in DITF, I think it will. She's irritating though, because she makes silly decisions (kind of understandable for plot purposes) and because she worries over moral issues that don't need so much worry and not over those that do.

Finally, can someone please explain the Niall thing? He put a spell on Dermot many years ago? Does that mean he's a big fat liar about Dermot's wanting to kill Sookie and having killed her parents? He wasn't there to help at all??

BTW, I have a love-hate relationship going on with these books on my blog, http://goodbooksbrightside.blogspot.com/. Somehow this series got to me. It can't be all that bad then!